Keeping Your Pet Calm At The Vet

About Me

Keeping Your Pet Calm At The Vet

After my dog came down with a serious illness, I realized that it might be important to coach him through his initial visits to the veterinarian. He was really upset about having to let a stranger touch him and look in his mouth, so I decided to start experimenting with different ways to calm him down. It took a lot of work, but after a few tries, I was able to keep him calm and happy, even during difficult appointments. This blog is all about keeping your pet calm at the vet, so that you can get your animal the care that he or she deserves.

Latest Posts

Keeping Your Pet Calm During Storms
14 October 2016

People are not the only ones disturbed by storms.

Household Products That Can Help You Care for Your Pet
22 September 2016

Owning a pet can bring feelings of joy and fulfill

Design Your Guinea Pig's Cage To Prevent Health Problems
20 July 2016

Guinea pigs are adorable, social little animals, b

Dental Problems in Your Cat
7 July 2016

Your cat will rarely complain about dental issues

Holistic Treatments For Your Dog's Ear Infection
29 June 2016

Ear infections are one of the most common ailments


5 Things That Can Poison Your Dog

The idea of your precious pooch getting poisoned by anything is scary to think about. However, there may be several things in your house that can poison your furry friend. It is very important to be aware of these substances and keep them away from your pooch. Here are five things that can poison your dog:

Human Medication

Aspirin or ibuprofen can make you feel better, but these over-the-counter medications can cause serious complications in your dog, including stomach ulcers. That is why you should never attempt to give your pooch medication that is intended for humans. Make sure to store your medicine in a cabinet, so your dog can't get to it.

Grapes and Raisins

Chocolate is not the only people food that is harmful to dogs. If your pooch eats grapes or raisins, he could experience some serious complications. According to PetMD, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in canines. Initial symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity include vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, and lethargy.


Think twice before using rodenticides to get rid of rats or mice in your house. All the harmful chemicals in rodenticides can be toxic to your dog and result in internal bleeding, kidney failure, and vomiting. If you have rodents in your home, ask a pest control specialist about safer ways to remove them.

Household Products

Everyday household products, such as antifreeze and bleach, can be deadly to your dog. It is very important to keep these items out of reach, so your dog does not accidentally ingest them. If you spill antifreeze or cleaner on the floor, clean it up as soon as possible.

Certain Plants

Plants can add beauty to your home, but certain ones are poisonous to your dog. According to Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Hyacinth, Rosary Pea, and Oleander are just some of the household plants that are dangerous for dogs. Your dog may be attracted to the smell and ingest one of these plants. Before you buy a plant for your house, find out if it is toxic to dogs or not.

To prevent toxicity, keep these items far away from your pooch. However, if your dog still gets poisoned, take him to the animal hospital as soon as possible. The veterinarian will decide on the best type of treatment. For example, the veterinarian may try to make your dog vomit.

For an animal hospital, contact an organization such as Berlin Township Animal Hospital.